Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Open Boat-Stephen Crane

Stephen Crane
The Open Boat

“Look! There’s a man on the shore!”
“Where?”
“There! See ‘im? See ‘im!”
“Yes, sure! He’s walking along.”
“Now he’s stopped. Look! He’s facing us!”
“He’s waving at us!”
“So he is! By thunder!” (Crane, 346)

When reading this dialogue in the story, I found it very interesting to me; one reason being is because I didn’t understand it at first. I didn’t understand why the men didn’t help them and why they were waving instead of trying to help them. They didn’t just see one person they see many people, and they also seen a life boat but no one helped them. They were stuck at sea and no one bothered to see if they were alright, the light house, and house of refuge was useless to them. It was insane how no one actually noticed their situation. I also found it kind of strange how the light house stayed lit and there wasnt anyone in there. I really dont understand the significance of that part of the story. For instance why the author chose to use the light house, and why these people seen them but didnt bother to help them. Other than this dialogue, I wasn’t too fond with the story. It really didn’t grab my attention.

1 comment:

Laura Nicosia said...

That's okay. You don't have to love every story...Your confusion echoes the existential angst felt by the men in the dinghy. They didn't understand the same things!